Thursday, November 02, 2006

Green & Clean


One of the most impressive stories that illustrate the principles of management and delegation is given by Stephen Covey in his fantastic book called The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People .

In this story called Green and Clean he illustrates four general principles that are important when you divide tasks. Wetter this is in your family or at your job. Wetter you're the boss or the employee. These principles lead to success!






Green & Clean
We were having a family meeting to divide the tasks in our family. My seven-year-old son, Stephen, volunteered to take care of the yard.
Before I actually gave him a job, I took him next door to our neighbor's. "Look, son," I said. "See how our neighbor's yard is green and clean? That's what we're after: green and clean.
Set Target

Set simple targets in a few words that everyone understand. No difficult or pagewide target definitions.
"Now before you decide whether or not you're going to take the job, let me tell you a few more things. Because when you take the job, I don't do it anymore. It's your job. I trust you to do the job, to get it done. Now who's going to be your boss?"
"You, Dad?"
"No, not me. You're the boss."
Define responsibility

Delegate and clearly define the responsibility and mandate at the right level.
Cut of dependent behavior.
"Now, guess who your helper is."
"Who?"

"I am," I said.
"You boss me."
"You tell me how I can help."
"I'll do anything you want me to do."
Offer help

Only after the target is set and the responsibility is defined: start helping
Don't start helping in an earlier state. Otherwise things will end up in a mess.
Two weeks went and nothing happened. The yard was going down the drain.
As I rounded the corner, I saw my son at the park across the street playing.
I faked a smile and yelled across the street, "How's the yard coming?" Then we walked around the yard together. His chin began to quiver and tears welled up in his eyes.
Accept failure

Delegating is a process. Accept that you don't succeed at once. Keep patience. Stand up as many times as necessary.
Than he finally asked for help.
I helped him two or three more times that entire summer.
After that, he himself took care of that yard . He kept it greener and cleaner than it had ever been.
Success

Final Acceptance and taking responsibility.
Using the above principles finally leads to the success you both wanted.



Covey is no narrow-minded or soft management-guru. On his website he states:



Human beings are not things needing to be motivated and controlled

They are four dimensional
body, mind, heart, and spirit


Dr. Stephen R. Covey
The 8th Habit
From Effectiveness to Greatness





As you see, the principles are all based on constructive communication.


Apply these simple principles everywhere and things will become a lot simpler in life.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you're looking for a article author for your blog.
You have some really great posts and I think I would be a good asset.
If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd
absolutely love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
Please blast me an email if interested. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I could not refrain from commenting. Very well written!

Anonymous said...

Some really prime blog posts on this site, saved
to bookmarks.

Anonymous said...

No matter if some one searches for his essential thing,
thus he/she wants to be available that in detail, therefore
that thing is maintained over here.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I simply wish to offer you a big thumbs up for the great information you've got right here on this post.

I am returning to your blog for more soon.

Anonymous said...

Right here is the right website for anybody who wishes to understand this
topic. You realize a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you
(not that I personally would want to?HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject that has
been discussed for ages. Great stuff, just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

You made some clear points there. I did a search on the topic and found most guys will approve with your site.

Anonymous said...

I all the time used to read paragraph in news papers but now as I am a user of internet so from now I am using net for content, thanks
to web.

Anonymous said...

Excellent article. Keep writing such kind of info on your blog.
Im really impressed by it.[X-N-E-W-L-I-N-S-P-I-N-X]Hey there, You've performed an incredible job.
I'll certainly digg it and in my view recommend to my friends.
I'm confident they'll be benefited from this web site..
Review my upshot :: best cord electric mower agreenhand

Anonymous said...

Interesante